Monroe County Energy Performance Contract Consulting
C.J. Brown Energy provided a wide range of services to Monroe County to structure and implement its $2 million Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant. Financing options for capital improvements — such as through energy performance contracts (EPCs) — were considered in the planning process.
Monroe County decided to pursue improvements at the Monroe County Civic Center and the Monroe County Correctional Facility through EPCs. C.J. Brown Energy helped safeguard the County’s interests by providing consulting services related to the energy calculation methodology, contract terms, and other factors.
For the Civic Center project, more than 20 improvement measures were implemented through the $13.3 million EPC. At the Correctional Facility, 11 improvement measures were implemented through the $1.3 million EPC.
The project included measures that support the County’s commitment to becoming a more sustainable community. An 85 kW solar array was installed on the roof of the Hall of Justice, adding to the capacity of the solar PV system already in place.
Our services included:
- Assist in the review of the EPC development documentation to include the investment grade audit, EPC installation contract, measurement & verification methodology, and maintenance contract. Principal issues included:
- Baseline energy use and conditions
- Pre-retrofit inventory of energy consuming equipment
- Evaluation of ECMs including operational implications, cost reasonableness, annual energy and cost savings, interactive effects between measures, useful life of measures, and simple payback.
- Methodology for calculating energy savings
- Construction management services