Town of Amherst Energy Study
C.J. Brown Energy completed a New York State Energy Research and Development Authority FlexTech energy study of the 65,000 sf Town of Amherst Police/Court facility. Although some renovations and upgrades had been made over time, select equipment and systems were of significant age and in need of upgrade or replacement, in particular the failing chilled water system. The objective of the study was to analyze system upgrades with a focus on significantly improving building energy efficiency. Energy conservation measures that were evaluated included:
- Chiller replacement with a high efficiency chiller.
- Cooling tower replacement.
- Boiler replacement with high efficiency condensing boilers.
- Conversion of constant volume air handling system to variable air volume operation.
- Ventilation system control improvements.
- Enhancement of the building direct digital control system.
- Lighting upgrade.
We subsequently provided engineering services as the Prime Consultant for the three phase HVAC and Lighting Improvements project to implement selected measures. We also helped the Town offset project costs by accessing NYSERDA cost-shared funding for the energy study and by obtaining equipment incentives through National Grid’s and National Fuel Gas’s rebate programs.